Friday, August 05, 2011

Macrame & Micro Macrame

This post comes back around from Friendship Bracelets. The first bracelets were "technically" macrame. Not surprising since they came about in the 70's (right at the end of the Hippie era), and I can remember my Mom making macrame belts and plant hangers back then. Macrame seems to have a bit of a resurgence these days. I think this is due to more people crafting than ever before, in part, due to the economy (though I hear it's making a comeback), and to the talented Micro-Macrame Artists out there. In the last year I have purchase two Micro-Macrame books that were well work the investment. The first was Joan Babcock's Micro-Macrame Jewelry. This book is well worth the price and offers plenty of tips, techniques and projects to get you started in this creative art.
The second book is also by Joan and incorporates Wire into the Micro-Macrame. Being a wire Artist this book holds a special place in my heart and is full of inspiration, along with techniques and projects. 

However if you have not done Micro-Macrame before, I highly recommend the first book, to get you started before moving on to the more advanced Wired one. You can also go to her website @ Micro-MacrameJewelry.com and order books, kits, and all the other supplies you need to get started.

I need to mention that there are other Micro-Macame books out there, but these two are my hands down favorites!

Keep in mind that actual friendship bracelets are done with craft thread while micro-macrame is made with a heavier nylon cord for more body, but if you would rather try your hand at Friendship Bracelets (with macrame techniques) there are some excellent kits out there. I highly recommend anything made by Klutz. We have purchased numerous books by them, on all sorts of different crafting endevours and never been disappointed with any of their books/kits. Here are 3 different kits by them:



And please keep in mind that while I know these are geared toward girls, boys will enjoy them just as much!

My son's girlfriend makes excellent bracelets. I will get some pictures of the ones she's made for my son, and his brothers, and post them as soon as I get the chance.

This should be enough to get you started, or at least pique your interest. Right? : D

No comments: